If you are like many business owners, you want more leads…but sometimes can’t
think of how to get your next one. So, you end up sitting in front of the TV or
surfing the web to fill time, or hanging out on the Zocate forums chatting with other business owners…waiting and hoping for a client to call. Probably
not the best way to get your next sale and build your business.
I have heard some pretty interesting and colorful stories about places or
situations where a business owner got a new client. Hopefully, the list below
will make you think of some more creative ways to generate leads.
Just a word of caution…be careful of Do Not Call lists, and SPAM. Nobody
needs any of the hassle or potential fines that come along with taking things
too far .
Don’t be afraid to start a conversation and ask questions…the more you get to
know someone, the more you may determine if they have a need for your services
or if there is a referral opportunity there so you can help someone else’s
Think “outside the box” a bit and you may find there are potential clients
that are a part of your everyday life!
- Mailing lists (purchase or create)
- Cold/warm calls (careful of do not call list)
- Church relationships (caution here too…it’s not appropriate for all)
- Children’s sport teams
- School events
- Sporting events
- Referrals from prior clients
- Current clients
- Prospective clients
- Coffee shops
- Grocery store
- Book store
- Anyone marketing to you
- Email (careful of SPAM and have an easy way for contacts to remove
- Online advertising (Zocate.com)
- Online networking (Konnects, LinkedIn, MySpace, FaceBook, etc)
- Sales associates at stores
- Servers in restaurants
- Person sitting next to you at the bar
- Waiting room doctor/dentist office
- Mechanic (like this company)
- Hair stylist (like this company)
- Tax preparer (look at all these options!)
- Massage therapist (there are so many available!)
- Dry cleaner
- Housekeeper (like this company)
- Pest control person (like this company)
- Hold a seminar
- Participate in trade shows
- Write articles
- Press releases
- Strategic partners – people working together
- Website – guest sign-up, newsletter sign-up
- Who do you do business with?
- Educational events/seminars…who is sitting next to you?
Make a list of 5 professions that compliment what you do. Use Zocate.com’s Directory of local business owners to find those you could have a valuable relationship with and give them a call!
I am not saying you should get right into talking about your business with
several of the above options…however, be open to starting a conversation with a
stranger because you never know what might develop from that encounter. Be safe
and have fun!